Moments I'm nostalgic for.

by

the best day

Pedaling on an exercise bike on the back porch at dusk, while reading the Connecticut chapter of State By State (I think the chapter was written by Rick Moody).It was the perfect combination of amazing, clarifying weather and peaceful feelings after a hellish few months.

October 28, 2010. My wedding day. Of course. This is a no brainer. Everything was perfect. Everything was beautiful. I was so excited to start my life with J.

Watching The English Patient late one summer evening with our newly-purchased Netflix account while Josiah was on tour and I was on vacation. Was it the novelty & excitement of finally having Netflix? Was it the fact that it became my favorite movie when it ended? I don’t know…but whatever it was, it felt wonderful.

Sitting in the living room recently, reading the latest David McCullough book and drinking iced coffee, while the sun came in through the curtains and A slept next to me. Bliss.

Thursday, March 7, 2013. The night that A and I were alone in our hospital room all by ourselves, for the entirety of the night. Those sweet, still, silent moments. Just me and him.

Finally…

This one rainy late March evening in 2010. I don’t remember the whole context of the day but I remember wearing a black blazer, skinny jeans, and flat brown boots, and driving around town in my old Volvo with J. Most importantly, I remember thinking that everything would end up okay.